Friday 11 May 2012

3b: Theories relating to networking


Cooperation

Reading through the cooperation notes in reader 3 made me analyse what kind of a person I am – one who cooperates or one who competes? I decided to try the game of ‘Prisoner’s Dilemma’: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/playground/pd.html My instinct was to cooperate on each turn, which led to an equal score. I decided to play again, to go against my instinct and compete in each turn. This resulted in me winning, but I was warned that I was “flirting with a [flashing] inconceivably foul fate”.  Axelrod ultimately found that to ‘win’ the game you should adopt the strategy of Antol Rapoport called ‘TIT FOR TAT’ that involves cooperating on the first move and subsequently copying what the other player did on their previous move. (Axelrod, R, 1984)

Although I am mindful that this may be the ‘winning’ method, I don’t necessarily consider it wholly beneficial to my professional practice in a school environment. The very nature of what education is for is to collectively achieve for the greater good through cooperation. I would be naive to believe that ‘TIT FOR TAT’ did not exist in the school environment and also that it may be beneficial in other more corporate environments, but I don’t see that it could be of ultimate benefit to my profession practice. Id like to perceive my colleagues not as prisoners concerned with lessening their time in jail but more as fig wasps collectively limiting the eggs they lay in fig trees (otherwise, the trees would suffer). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_cooperation)

This simple game proved to be a good analogy of the outcomes I experience when people compete or cooperate in the professional practice of my teaching environment. My place of work is currently undergoing restructuring, which I believe is bringing out some peoples desire to compete for their own benefit, rather than that of the wider network of fellow employees or most importantly the students. I am currently struggling to work alongside someone who is competing. The majority of our team are trying to pull together and cooperate at this difficult time, but having someone within our group that is solely competing to preserve themselves at (what seems like) all costs, is having a negative impact on our working environment. On a more positive side, this situation has brought other members of the team, myself included, closer together forming a stronger and more cooperative group.

Affiliation

I am quite an introverted person. I am not sure if this comes from my South African background as Hofstede may suggest, or if I am this way by nature. A principle of the affiliation theory is homeostasis (O’Connor and Rosenblood, 1996). 

“This principle states that our need for affiliation within each one of us may differ, but we each seek to balance our interactions with others to a preferred level.” (O’Connor and Rosenblood, 1996 p267)

Being more of an introvert I am a reserved person, as O’Connor and Rosenblood suggest I don’t feel the need for high levels of social stimulation.

On reflection, I feel that my reserved nature has both positive and negative affects in my professional practice. Being more introverted allows me time to stand back and observe situations in a calm, thoughtful and considered way. Staying calm is a really important skill when trying to avoid or diffuse volatile situations in my workplace. I think it can also make me more approachable to the students who can associate my company as a place of comfort at a time when they are facing personal difficulties. My shy and introvert nature often makes it difficult for me to be forthcoming in networking with new people or on open forums. I had never really thought or accepted how important networking was until I started this course and now I realise how much I need to push myself to progress in this area.

I agree with Crisp and Turner, that affiliation is a social process that provides us ‘with a network of support that will help us when we are in need’ (Crisp and Turner, 2007, p266). It is really important to me that I have a network of people around me both personally and professionally, even if its just a trusted few, who I can turn to when I need constructive advice. It is also important to me that I can offer good advice and support in return. My professional practice can be very rewarding but also extremely challenging. I wouldn’t be able to do my job successfully if I didn’t have the support of the colleagues I affiliate with at work.  

Social Constructivism

The ideas that existing and future new networks are ‘made’ and the meanings they make are not predetermined, is really relevant to online networks today. Despite, often huge multinational companies spending millions on a professional or social forum, it is the user who ultimately determines its success. We have seen the demise of Friends Reunited and Bebo, replaced by the more dominant Facebook. There are new forums appearing all the time, with their success being decided by the user, ending the once dominant model of objectivism.

“Objectivism-the notion that truth and meaning reside in their objects independently of any social consciousness”.  (Crotty M, 2005, p42-44)

It is not just the success or failure that is decided by the user, but often the use itself. An example of this I have witnessed in my professional practice is with BlackBerry phones. They were initially marketed towards the business sector, but the BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), which is free, allows users to send one message to many and is untraceable by the authorities, has made it appealing to young people. These factors also illustrate why it was a key communication tool with young people in the London Riots. According to a recent Ofcom study the majority (37%) of British teens use a BlackBerry handset.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/08/london-riots-facebook-twitter-blackberry

The constructionist questions put forward by Humphrey about whether nature on earth existed before we represented it in our minds could be seen as an argument that is outdated in today’s technological age. We now live in a time in which completely new digital phenomena are being ‘born’. Networks that we use today literally didn’t exist before humans constructed them from scratch. (Humphrey 1993, p.17)

“Were there not volcanoes, and dust-storms and starlight long before there was any life on Earth? Did not the sun rise in the East and set in the West? Did not water flow downhill, and light travel faster than sound? The answer is that if you had been there, that is indeed the way the phenomena would have appeared to you. But you were not there: no one was. And because no one was there, there was not-at this mindless stage of history-anything that counted as a volcano, or a duststorm, and so on. I am not suggesting that the world had no substance to it whatsoever. We might say, perhaps, that it consisted of 'worldstuff'. But the properties of this worldstuff had yet to be represented by a mind.” (Humphrey 1993, p.17)

In relation to professional practice, completing this section has made me realise that there are many different networking frameworks available, but I need to actively search and utilise them if they are to be of any use to me.

Connectivism

The idea that connectivism rejects traditional ideas of learning (i.e. that knowledge is ‘transferred’ from teacher to student) instead embracing alternative principles and processes is something that is implemented in my professional practice. Simply transferring knowledge is not an appropriate or engaging way of teaching young people with severe behavioral issues. (Siemens G, 2004)

To keep up-to-date with ideas on different methods of informal teaching I use a site called infed (the informal education homepage and encyclopedia of informal education), which was established in 1995 at the YMCA in London. I find this network really useful in my professional practice as it provides me with a source on which I can draw inspiration when I am finding it difficult to get through to a particular student. The site allows a space in which people can make comment, share their ideas and suggest further reading. It is really helpful when people extend on or put existing theories in context as not all students fall comfortably into certain categories. Siemens raises awareness of this in the following extract:

Many important questions are raised when established learning theories are seen through technology. The natural attempt of theorists is to continue to revise and evolve theories as conditions change. At some point, however, the underlying conditions have altered so significantly, that further modification is no longer sensible. An entirely new approach is needed.
(Siemens G, 2004)

Communities of practice

I have been involved in the past in this kind of community. I lived within a creative space for a year that was social, informal and consisted of people that all practiced in the arts. The group was self-organising, with no particular hierarchical. The type of events we held or work we did depended on the people that were either living or participating in the space at the time.

Although the principles of this type of community practice are good in theory, my experience was overall quite the opposite. There were many ideas and aims, but because there was no hierarchical structure, it was rare for anyone to take on the responsibility of putting the ideas into practice. When ideas were put into practice, they were done so in a disorganised and chaotic manner and were never completed to their full potential. Overall it was a great way of sharing ideas, gaining inspiration and meeting like-minded people, but not a place for actually implementing ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment