Monday 7 May 2012

Task 2d: Inquiry



What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?
When I first studied art like most students in my art school we had similar goals: to get our artwork into a gallery and to take part in group shows as a way of establishing ourselves. At this point it has never crossed my mind that art bring about social change and that I would be more interested in this aspect. I became more driven and interested in taking part in art workshops and community projects. I enjoyed the experience of working with different artist from other parts of the world and taking art into communities that have been denied the facilities to create art. Up until today I still love and enjoy project work and taking part or delivering art workshops. I have listed a few of the artists I have worked with and who have inspired me to want to continue to be part of community art projects.
Hannah Westwood
Co-organising the Lee Green Art Project with Hannah Westwood was exciting because it created an opportunity for me to use my art and community work skills.
Klause Klinger
My first major mural art project came in 2001 in Cape Town and from this project I developed the passion for mural and community art projects. Through this project I had the opportunity to work with Klause who is one of the founding members of Farbieber. Farbieber is an art organisation based in Germany who focus on running and planning mural project in Germany and around the world. From working with Klause I became more interested in mural and art projects as an affective learning tool.
Kemang Wa Lehulere
Kemang is a good friend and fellow artist whose work I find inspiring. He has managed to find a positive balance between getting involved in art projects and working towards furthering his own art.
http://www.biennaledelyon.com/uk/biennale/edition/artists/lehulere,45.html
http://www.goodman-gallery.com/exhibitions/182
What gets you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found a way to work around the sadness or anger?
What makes me upset and angry are professional workers that use young people that they work with to further their own career and use politics to make life difficult for their colleagues who are genuinely trying to make a difference. It’s unfortunate when people become disenchanted with their work and loose sight of the reasons they chose their career path. They forget how much positive impact they can have on the people they work with, especially young people as they are still seeking guidance.
I admire the principle of the school I work at and a particular colleague. They support me in my low moments and encourage me to bring new ideas and approach’s to my work.
What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?
I love it when I can see that a piece of work that I have been creating with a person or a group has had a positive impact. And to successfully plan and deliver an art project by creating a space for people who might not have had the opportunity to be in a space where they can use art to express themselves.
Workings at my school has made me consider taking up art teaching because I have seen how much the students enjoy themselves when they are in an art lesson and how much art calms them down. I have seen the difference art makes in building confidence and self-esteem with some of the students in schools. I feel inspired when I see that the work I do has made a positive difference to the pupils I work with who struggle to cope in a classroom environment as they have learning and behavioural difficulties.
My mother is the main person who has influenced my love and passion for community projects. She worked for an organisation in South Africa that trained communities living in squatter camps (shacks), about how to build shacks that were safe and also provided building materials at an affordable price. She went on to start her own agricultural and arts and craft project in a remote village in the Eastern Cape. The project provided employment and supplied the neighbouring villages with seedling for the people to grow their own food.
What do you feel you don’t understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has asked the same questions as you?
I am in the in the process of trying work out if training to become an art teacher is the best way for me to progress in my practice and how teaching will impact on my own art practice. I wonder how I will manage planning art projects/workshops, teaching and taking part in art exhibitions.
I do talk about this with a friend of mine, who is has done an art teaching course and also work in different art projects. She too has founded it hard to stay focus with her art practice, but she mentioned how working with her students has inspired her to continue producing her own art pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment